When Appearing in Court
- Be on time.
- Do not bring gum, food, and drinks into the courtroom.
- Show proper decorum when appearing before the Judge or addressing any remarks to the Court.
- Speak clearly when you respond to the Judge’s questions
- Always address the Judge as “Your Honor,” “Ma’am,” or “Sir.”
- Do not interrupt the Judge or court proceedings. This type of conduct may result in removal from the courtroom or contempt proceedings.
- Enter and leave the courtroom quietly, so you do not disturb others.
- Only approach the bench when instructed to do so.
Children in the Courtroom
If it is necessary to bring your child(ren) to Court, please be aware that if your child(ren) causes a disturbance or distraction, you and your child(ren) may be asked to leave the courtroom. If asked to leave the courtroom, your case will be moved to the end of that day’s calendar.
Cell Phones and Pagers
The use of cell phones is not permitted in the courtroom. Your cell phone or pager must be turned off before entering the courtroom so that you do not disrupt the Court. If you are required to carry a phone or pager for business purposes, it must be placed on silent mode.
Items that are NOT permitted in the courtroom:
- Weapons of any kind
- Electronic equipment such as video (unless approved by the Court)
- Voice recorders or cameras (unless approved by the Court)
If you are appearing in Court, you should dress nicely and in a manner that shows respect for the Court. Here are some items that shall not be worn:
- Hats inside the courtroom (except those worn for religious purposes)
- T-shirts depicting violence, sexual acts, profanity, or illegal drugs
- Clothing that does not properly cover your torso
- Ripped or torn pants or baggy pants falling below the waist
- Mini-skirts or shorts
If you are not dressed properly, you will be asked to leave the Court and return at a later date. This will delay your hearing and require you to appear in Court more than once.
Sugar Hill City Hall
Municipal Court Clerk:
5039 West Broad Street
Sugar Hill, Georgia 30518
(770) 945-6734 Ext. 1101
(770) 945-6734 Ext. 1102