Many years ago Buford was a railhead from which several freight wagons traveled regularly to Cumming, which even today has no rail lines. The story is that on one of the freight trips a heavily loaded wagon lost a wheel on a high hill and spilled a part of its load, including several large bags of sugar. The wheel was repaired and the wagon reloaded - except for the sugar, which had broken open and spilled on the hill. The area became known as "The hill where the sugar spilled." It was shortened to "The Sugar Hill" and then just to "Sugar Hill." Sugar Hill existed as a Georgia Militia District for many years before it was charted as a city on March 24, 1939.
Community of Pride Designation:
In the early 1980's, our city earned the Community of Pride designation through a program initiated by the Governor and administered through the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. To qualify, Sugar Hill had to meet a number of criteria including formation of a Betterment Committee to survey citizens about the community's needs, and development of a program to help meet these needs. This resulted in expansion of our city park, installation of sidewalks and numerous other amenities. It was during this process that we acquired our retired Sugar Maple Tree logo, which was designed by one of our citizens.